Monday, May 18, 2009

5-18-2009 Mon - Kincora Hardcore Trail Crew

On our way to the worksite we passed Round Bald and Jane Bald
(from left to right; Bark, Berry, Gorgonzola and Denali) Wow, what a great experience this has been. Today we worked re-routing some trail between Roan Mtn and Hump Mtn, which were some of those amazing bald mtn's I crossed over a few weeks back. Both days you provide your own breakfast and lunch but they feed you dinner. You carry 2 tools up to where the work site is. Both days I had a pulaski (combines an axe and a mattock) and a Rogue hoe (which is brand of hoe with a sharpened edge). It was about a 2-3 mile hike to the work site today, so that in itself was a little tough carrying these tools, your water and your lunch all the way up there. We also use pick-axes, mattock's, loppers and rock bars (huge steel pry bars). I have some good before and after pictures of trail we all made:










Also helped make some stone steps today. which was pretty cool. You have to find the right rock with a flat surface, pry it out of the ground, and get it set properly. Then more rocks to support around it. Afterward Bob showed me how to find ramps:





We had alot better dinner tonight, much more filling. Started with chicken noodle soup, then salad and spaghetti with a really meaty sauce, and some delish garlic bread.



altimore Jack does pretty much all of the cooking for the 2nd day, with the help of some hikers who woke up late and didn't make it to the work site. (hikers chowing down, me and Baltimore:)



These past 2 nights I've stayed at Laurel Creek Lodge in a cabin, Kincora Hostel gets really full during these days for Hardcore, because Bob Peoples sets it up, so alot of people stay there at his hostel. There are a few tent spots and some spots on the porch, but its only a few dollars more here. They have waaaay less of a line for the shower here and I wouldn't have been able to catch up on all these journals if I had't gotten to use the internet here. Last night it was me, the blonde Freebird, Redbeard and Otter who split a cabin, tonight same thing just no Otter. I'm beat, so off to bed. ;)
me, D-Con and Flying Porkchop


heres another shot of the trail crew hard at work:

3 comments:

  1. Rogue Hoe... that's an excellent name for a band. I might also make a t-shirt.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Basher! It's Lauren... Brave Friend's girlfriend. I really enjoyed talking to you all weekend of Trail Days, and am enjoying catching up on your blog (made sure BF and Mello also got the blog address). It helps me relive the week I had on the trail... there's just something amazing about living in the mountains under the sky... good for you for undertaking such an adventure/experience. I wish you the best and look forward to following your blog all the way to Katahdin. Be well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lauren! It was good to meet you and I enjoyed talking to you as well. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete