Monday, May 4, 2009

5-2-2009 Sat - Erwin, TN

Start: Spivey Gap campsite
End: Erwin, TN - Uncle Johnny's Hostel
miles hiked: 11.2

Got up early once again, this time motivated by a package that I will pick up today at the hostel in Erwin that has my digital camera in it. I also think I've adjusted my sleeping pattern where I go to bed maybe an hour after dark, so by the sun comes up I've had plenty of sleep. The hike today was super easy, one climb right out of Spivey Gap that followed a creek up the mountain, then just nice and level for quite awhile before descending down into the Nolichucky River Valley. Started raining about halfway through but it wasn't cold so I didn't even need to put on a rain jacket. Couldn't believe how fast I did those 11 miles, just over 4 hrs. Got there about 20 min before they were doing a lunch shuttle to town for all you can eat pizza, and a stop at the store for re-supply. They had some great pizza at this place, and would take requests for what to make, so you better believe I had some thin crust pepperoni and bell pepper. Put away as much pizza as my belly would fit (at least a whole medium) and then got some groceries. Set up my tent in the courtyard of the hostel (bunk's were $15, tenting was only $8 and still included a shower and shuttle). Hung out with Green Hornet and Skully, Matt, Blues Traveler and Freebird (the blonde one) some more before going to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment