Saturday, May 9, 2009

5-6-2009 Wed - the Vortex

Start point: Greasy Creek Friendly (Hostel)
End point: near Hughes Gap
miles hiked: 5

The mailman showed up with my mail about 1pm (which is when I finally got out of my tent, and trust me, I have not slept in that late in a loooong time). So I started taking down my tent and packing up. Had some really strong wind but no rain for abit, so that worked out great for me: I hung my tent up and it dried in no time, so I was able to pack up everything dry. Ate lunch and talked to Phil for awhile. He is Connie's ex-husband, and even though she runs the place he is the owner of the property. Whew boy, can he give you an earful about marriage. Great guy though, and I would lend an ear to hear him anytime. I've heard hikers call these places the vortex the last few weeks. Its just so darn comfortable to hang out at some of these hostels that its like pulling yourself away from a vortex to get back on the trail. They really make you feel at home. You should have seen the porch on this place. There is an old comfy wooden rocking chair, a great spot to prop up your feet, and a view looking out to the mountains and you're thinking, $5 a day, why don't I just live here for awhile.. After I got out of there and hiked the 1/2 mile back to the trail I made it past the Clyde Smith Shelter and Little Rock Knob and finally found a tent site on the climb toward Ash Gap as it was getting dark. Tented out, got rained on throughout the night, but my tent still doesn't leak so thats a plus. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment