Sunday, May 10, 2009

5-8-2009 Fri - Tenn for 70

Start point: near Hump Mtn
End point: near Laurel Fork
miles hiked: 21.1

Woke up fairly early and packed up, started hiking the rest of the way down Hump Mtn. It started raining after I stopped to get water and didn't stop raining till noon. Crossed over into Tennessee which I will be in for the next 70 miles, finally done with the 152 miles of jumping back and forth between NC/TN state lines. Got to the Mountaineer Falls and stopped at that shelter and was thinking of calling it a day, but I didn't. It was only 5pm, still 3 good hrs of daylight to hike in, the sky had cleared up and the sun came out. Rested for about 10min, then got going. I really wanted to make it all the way to the next shelter, that would make my day tomorrow alot easier. Heard about trail magic at Dennis Cove, which is also where I was planning on staying near. There is a hostel there called Kincora ran by a guy named Bob Peoples who I have heard is one of the best guys on the trail. His hostel is only $4 for a bunk, which is actually just the suggested donation. So I'm hiking and hiking and hiking and still havent hit this shelter. These are just little rolling hills but they kick your butt for some reason. I'm used the idea of if you are trying to get somewhere hike till you think you've gone far enough, then hike a little more and you'll finally be there, but it didn't happen that way this time. Finally came up on Green Hornet and Skully who were tenting, as well as Timothy (That Guy) who I had met at Greasy Creek. Tented out near them, stayed up and hung out, had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment