Saturday, May 9, 2009

5-7-2009 Thur - Roan to Hump

Start point: near Hughes Gap
End point: near Hump Mtn
miles hiked: 14.4


Climbed almost 2000 ft in about 3 1/2 miles, it was Roan Mtn (6285 elev), which will be my last big climb for some time. Its the last time the AT climbs over 6000 ft until I reach Mt Washington in New Hampshire. There used to be an old hotel called the Cloudland Hotel up on top of Roan Mtn, from the late 1800's to the early 1900's, finally demolished in 1915. Its crazy to think they were able to build something as big as a hotel that high up back in the day. After you come down the other side of Roan then you pass over Round Bald (5826 elev), Little Hump Mtn, and Hump Mtn (5587 elev). More amazing views, like I said before, love those blad mtn's, they have some of the best views. After I climbed Hump Mtn and started the descent I came across some Longhorn cattle, grazing right in the middle of the trail. That certainly brought back some TX memories! Found a nice spot to tent out, made a fire, some dinner, enjoyed the full moon. Haven't seen a full moon that bright in a long time, it would have been perfect for night hiking but I was trying to give my legs a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment