Friday, July 24, 2009

7-16-2009 Thur

Start point: 501 Shelter
End point: Port Clinton
miles hiked: 23.7
One of the odd things you see in the woods, a drinking cup box? nailed to a tree..
Me and Time Bomb made our early start as planned. Talked all day as we hiked. He is from Iowa but has made Minneapolis his new home. Him and his wife started the trail together but she got off the trail around Catawba, VA when she got sick (giardia). He was a great person to meet and just at the right time too, because I was kinda feeling kinda blue about leaving Shameless, Ziggy and Creep, and I was feeling like I'd never catch Dragonbreath since I got so far behind. Now that I'm writing this it really made me realize how much my friends out here mean to me. We're all kind of like a big support system subconsciously keeping each other going. It can be monotonous hiking miles and miles day after day, but with good friends around, to me it doesn't feel like that. When we got to Eagles Nest Shelter we took a long break, and eventually decided to make the push into Port Clinton. When we got to town the bar/grill/hotel had stopped serving food, but a really nice couple gave us a ride a couple miles up the road to Burger King, then back to town. Port Clinton allows hikers to use their town pavillon to camp under, so that was nice.
Gogonzola, Denali, Checkpoint and Coldfeet were there, as well as Beechucker. I made a big stink about BK screwing me over (no mayo!), everyone got a kick out of that.. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment