Saturday, July 25, 2009

7-17-2009 Fri

Start point: Port Clinton, PA
End point: Pocahontas Spring
miles hiked: 2.3


So Port Clinton is just a few miles away from Hamburg, PA, where the biggest Cabela's store in the country is. If you call them they will send a shuttle to pick you up from Port Clinton, so me and Time Bomb got picked up around 9:30am. He needed to buy new shoes and I needed new socks. We both did our shopping, I got some socks and ended up with a new shirt and new pants as well (got some great deals - $12 apeice), and he got his shoes. I was hoping on making my old shirt and pants last till Maine, but in Pine Grove Furnace State Park I accidentally left my zip-off pant legs, and my shirt was getting some holes in it (plus some funk just won't wash out). It was tough to throw them away though, I'd worn those for 1200 miles! Afterward we put a hurtin' on a Pizza Hut buffet, then walked at least a couple miles to the grocery store to re-supply. A family gave us a ride back to Cabela's and we got the shuttle back to Port Clinton. All that took a good while but I still wanted to hike out, Time Bomb was gonna stay there and get a room. It started raining on my climb out of Port Clinton, and before I new it the back of my heels were burning. I think it was the combination of doing those big miles the last few days and then when my shoes got soaked on the climb up it just aggravated the problem. I decided to stop as soon as I found a campsite so I wouldn't make the problem worse. Since it was still pretty early I read most of the evening, trying to finish this book I got from the Doyle: Sleepers.

No comments:

Post a Comment