Saturday, July 25, 2009

7-24-2009 Fri

Start point: on the Iris trail, High Point State Park
End point: Unionville, NY - the Outhouse, formerly "the Mayor's house"
miles hiked: 13.9

Wasn't in any hurry to get out early, I was anxious to get to the Mayor's house, but I knew I was gonna be hiking pretty slow because of those toe blisters. They did feel better today, the only real pain is on my left pinky toe, and it wasn't near as bad as yesterday. I stopped at the High Point State Park headquarters to get water and take a break. They have a huge monument to mark the highest point in NJ, 1803 feet.


The rest of the trail through NJ from this point runs right along the border of NJ/NY, but stays mostly on the NJ side. Got to Unionville right before a rainstorm blew in, so luckily I only got sprinkled on. The Outhouse is another one of those hostels everyone talks about and is anxious to get to. Dick started helping out hikers a couple years ago (he was the mayor of Unionville, NY for 10 years) and is nice enough to open up his home to hundreds of hikers a year. He gives you your first beer for free and the 2nd and 3rd are only .25 cents each. (Kinda bummed I'm not drinking till Aug 14th.) Feeds you dinner and breakfast and doesn't even charge, just takes donations. Met Miss Canada and Long Gun, and saw some folks I already knew: Spoonman, Many Names, Lion King, Flatlander, Boofer and Frankenfoot.


This swampy area was about a mile from Unionville, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment