Saturday, July 25, 2009

7-22-2009 Wed

Start point: Delaware Water Gap, PA
End point: near Rattlesnake Mtn
miles hiked: 22
Crossing into NJ
Went to the diner for breakfast and the SOBO's (Stumbles and Nico) let me join them. Had a power-nap after I got back to the church hostel then hiked out around 9am. Crossed the bridge over the Delaware River into NJ! The climb up was pretty nice, ran next to a creek for awhile then a real gradual climb up to Sunfish Pond, the southernmost glacial pond on the A.T. and one of the seven protected natural areas in NJ. It was one of the most beautiful areas I've seen recently.

Spent a good bit of time there just piddlin' around. Saw 7 snakes! 2 were babies, 1 baby garter snake and 1 baby water snake, another slightly bigger garter snake, and the others were all eastern black snakes

Found some good blueberry bushes that I snacked on for awhile. Stopped at the Mohican Outdoor Center for a sandwich and chips. A few of these pics are before I got to the Catfish Fire Tower, and a few of them are from the top of the tower.

Around that time I noticed the blisters forming on a few toes, so I walked in my flip-flops for awhile trying to let my feet dry out. Appearantly my feet did not appreciate doing 23 miles in the rain yesterday. Passed by Crater Lake, very pretty.



I wanted to make it to the Brink Rd Shelter but it was getting dark, so when I came across Boofer and Frankenfoot I just decided to camp with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment