Thursday, April 2, 2009

3-30-2009 Mon - Hiked with Freeze

Start point: Neels Gap
End point: Low Gap Shelter
miles hiked: 10.8

Couldn't sleep that well once again, and this time I was in a warm bed indoors! I think it was the anticipation of the sun coming out, no more rain and fog! Well that and I had a top bunk and every dude in there was snoring. Sent home about 3lbs of clothes, w/the sleeping bag liner I shouldn't need em. Weighed my pack again, 37lbs with food and water. Still more than I want it to weigh but it feels better because I think I'm packing it more efficiently now. Headed out later than I mean to, but that turned out to be a blessing in disguise because a church group had just started giving out free burgers, they were cooking to feed hikers passing by. The sun was out and there was no fog! Wow, there is actually sun in Georgia, I was starting to wonder.. After I started hiking for abit Freeze passed me up, but we were going just about the same pace so we hiked together. We had met briefly last night at the hostel. Finally we got some great views in the sunlight, stopped at Levelland Mtn to enjoy the scenery. Could see for miles and miles, so beautiful. Sharp pain again in my left knee, kinda worries me. Taking it very slow on the downhills. After about 6 miles Freeze let me use his trekking poles on the downhills, made it way less painful. He went ahead and let me use them for the rest of the day. We made it to Low Gap Shelter, made dinner, made a fire. Hung out with a couple other hikers that are here. Ski had some good stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment