Thursday, April 2, 2009

4-01-2009 Wed - B-day on the AT!

Start point: Tray Mtn Shelter
End point: Deep Gap Shelter
miles hiked: 8
miles from Springer: 64

Last night I had told the 2 girls I tented next to that it was almost my birthday. They told me happy birthday this morning and Baltimore Jack overheard that, so he gave me a brownie w/a birthday candle in it and everyone sang happy birthday to me. There were a bunch of people at the shelter, I met Damascus and his huge dog Charles, Skywalker, Moxi, Snuggles, the Dude, and Baltimore Jack who I had met at Neels Gap. Got to Deep Gap after some steep ascents, almost 1000 ft in 1 mile. That hill was huge, it felt like it just kept going up and up, no switchbacks either! Great weather for my birthday, it was foggy and cold in the morn but it cleared up and got so sunny and warm I had to change into my shorts and just a t-shirt. A few of us chipped in with Baltimore Jack and made a communal meal. Nice and sunny the whole rest of the day. Got another birthday candle, this time in a Nutrigrain bar! Shared my bourbon with everyone and slept in the top of the shelter, another one of those cool ones, this one had 2 seperate lofts, almost like a shelter version of a 4 plex!

No comments:

Post a Comment