Monday, April 27, 2009

4-23-2009 Thur - More Sun!

Start point: Tri Corner Knob Shelter
End point: State Line Branch
miles hiked: 17

Met Patience at the shelter. He is a good kid from Lubbock. He's deaf so we did some conversation back and forth with pen and pad. He did Springer to Damascus last year and came back this year to do the whole thing, he didn't want to be considered a section hiker. :)
Skipping Stones and his wife Laura were there too. I've run into them about 3 times now. They are a fun middle-aged couple from Chucky, TN who got married in Jan, so I guess this could be and interesting time to learn even more about each other. It was another beautiful day for hiking, abit hotter than yesterday, I got down to just a shirt and shorts pretty quick. This 2nd half of the Smoky Mountains has been alot easier imho, although I say that having rolled my ankle again twice today. Guess it was not 100% yet from that time last week. You really have to be careful how you step, some of these trails are really rocky. Its a little swollen again now so I guess I'm gonna wrap it again tomorrow. Exited the GSMNP at around 4pm. It really is a pretty national park. I'll give it an A overall. ;)
Set up camp about a mile outside the park, neat little site to tent next to a couple streams in a valley. Figured out if I do 16 days of hiking 15 mi a day I'll be in Damascus well before Trail Days, and I've heard you simply have to go to Trail Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment