Monday, April 27, 2009

4-10-2009 Fri - Trail Magic

Start point: Wayah Shelter
End point: Burningtown Gap
miles hiked: 3.6

Lots of thunderstorms in the morning. Really loud thunder and some lightning very nearby. Waited out the nasty weather until around noon and then got going. Didn't make it too far before running into some folks doing trail magic. I know what some of you are thinking, "trail magic, that sounds really cheesy". Yes the name is kinda cheesy but what they are doing is great. Basically people come out to a spot on the AT and feed the hikers coming by. Here it was Diamond Dough and his wife Di, who had sodas, Little Debbie snacks and bananas, and Brave Friend and Mello Yello were cooking burgers and hot-dogs and had soda and beer. These 2 groups were not together, which was funny, they just happened to pick the same spot the same weekend to do trail magic! I hung out a little too long, but they assurred me I was not wearing out my welcome. I was just having such a good time talking to those folks! Meant to head out later that day but after numerous beers and some whiskey I ended up just setting up my tent and spending the night. I actually did try to leave but I walked about 100 yards up the trail and it started raining hard again, which was my perfect excuse to stay.

1 comment:

  1. haha...didn't think you'd pass up an opportunity to drink ;-)

    ReplyDelete