Monday, April 27, 2009

4-25-2009 Sat - Max Patch = Bliss

Start point: Max Patch Summit
End point: Hot Springs, NC
miles hike: 19.8

Wow, woke up and got to check out the view that I couldn't see last night because of darkness. It was amazing. Took some pics that I'm gonna post just as soon as I can. Its kinda cool hiking into places at night and then getting the amazing suprise view the next day. 360 degree views, what a great spot. I think this is my favorite morning of the trip. Another gorgeous sunny day, lots of spring/stream crossings today that were really pretty. One big climb up Bluff Mtn 4686 elev, then lots of down. Hot Springs, NC is at 1326 elev.. Made it in town about an hour before dark, finally caught up to Skywalker. We ate at the diner then he was going back to his motel room, I heard about some free tent sites down the AT by the French Broad River which runs through Hot Springs so I went there and set up. Ran into Wrath, that guy I met my first day on the approach trail, very suprised he is still on the trail. He's got an external frame pack and some hiking boots now that have been given to him, so I guess he's doing allright for himself. Gonna hang out tomorrow and mabe stay at the hostel, I have a package from my Aunt at the post office so I gotta wait till Mon morn. That will give me time to enjoy the hot springs, do some laundry and rest my feet after that nearly 20 mile day. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Everywhere I look I see the section of trail you describe here (max patch to hot springs) listed as a 10 mile hike. You say it is 20 miles? I want to do this section with my GF (a novice backpacker) this summer, and This would make a big difference. Can you please email me at Dansutterlin@gmail.com??? Thanks, Dan

    ReplyDelete