Friday, August 21, 2009

8-13-2009 Thur

Since I didn't hike yesterday I finally broke down and agreed to my first ever south-bound slack-plack. Lots of people do these all the time, I never have though, just seems weird to me. My whole hike is north, why would I do ANY miles southbound. But anyway, the premise is this; you get dropped off north of where you are, in this case 23 miles north of Dalton in North Adams, you leave your pack behind and with a small day-pack containing just some snacks and water you hike back to your starting location. Everyone loves it because you can really fly since you are carrying hardly any weight. The next day you get dropped off up in North Adams again and continue like normal from there.
I got about 5 miles into the hike, at which point I was at the top of Greylock Mtn, then called it quits. I felt terrible, had no energy and a pounding headache. Got a ride down the mountain from some kids and took a bus back to Dalton. Turns out I had a fever, and I was pretty certain all these were symptoms of Lyme disease. I had a pretty big red spot on my hip that showed up maybe a day ago, but up until then I was hoping it was just some kind of spider bite, or another insect, anything but a bite from a deer tick.

No comments:

Post a Comment