Friday, August 21, 2009

8-5-2009 Wed

Start point: Riga Lean-to
End point: US 7 near Great Barrington - Dolls and Dwellings
miles hiked: 13.5

Got out fairly early and got to the next shelter (just 1.2 miles away) where DB was. We climbed up Bear Mtn and then got to the Conn/Mass state line together. Right after getting into Mass you go through Sages Ravine, which is a very cool little area where the trail runs next to Sages Ravine Brook. The climb up Race Mtn then Mt. Everett was pretty tough. Met Dug-Out and Dizzy Bat around that area. Took a couple pics of Guilder Pond then it started raining, then poured for about 15 mins, just enough to soak me to the bone. Sat at The Hemlocks Lean-to and pondered how I could have missed the rain if I had just gotten there 10 min sooner. Came upon Dug-out and Dizzy Bat again near Elbow Trail and talked to them, they said they could give me a ride to Great Barrington to re-supply, so I hiked with them for most of the way to their car. They had started a thru hike, but decided around Maryland that they weren't gonna do the whole thing, and for the rest of the trip just do section hikes in each state. Can't blame em' for that. After I re-supplied they gave me a ride back to where the trail crosses US7, and there was a business there that lets hikers camp behind their store, so I tented there. DB showed up later. Got a great moon-rise over the mountain ridge that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment