Friday, August 21, 2009

8-4-2009 Tues

Start point: Sharon Mtn Campsite
End point: Riga Lean-to
miles hiked: 17.4

Got out pretty early and did 3 miles down to US 7 where me and DB took a break by an auto shop with a soda machine out front. The trail was re-routed there because of road construction there were doing on a bridge over the Housatonic River. I was told by a sobo that I could still cross the bridge if I just went up and asked them, so thats what I did, and they let me cross. DB took the re-route. I walked a couple miles down the road to Falls Village where I just happened upon the library (wasn't in my guidebook), so I used the internet for awhile. Duckman, George and Logan, Alan and Magic were all around, said hi to them. Just north of town is an Iron Bridge over the Housatonic and the very impressive Great Falls that gives Falls Village its name. I've heard the falls are not impressive at all normally, but after all the rain we've been getting it was freakin ragin'. Some pretty spots near Prospect Mtn, then another drop down to US 44 and Conn 41 where the trail goes near Salisbury, CT. Then a climb up Lions Head, got a great sunset right after I climbed that. Decided to stop at Riga Lean-to instead of trying to go farther, it was a good choice. Lion King and What were there and we had a great time cracking each other up till it was time to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment