Sunday, June 7, 2009

5-23-2009 Sat

Start point: Lynn Camp Creek
End point: Burkes Garden
miles hiked: 9.2
The trail to the rim of Burkes Garden
Me and Ned woke up around the same time, got the fire re-started (it was a chilly morning) and ate breakfast together. Got packed up and left before him. Nice guy, he gave me a Mountain House dinner the other day, then a day or so after that gave me some really good specialty hot chocolate packets and some GinSting packets (honey, but used kind of like that power gel energy boost stuff). I was getting kinda low on food and he had extra. Sometimes its tough to get the whole food buying thing done right, sometimes you have too much, you get to the next re-supply town with extra, and sometimes not enough, so you are skimping trying to make it without feeling like you are starving. Today I knew I had a big climb, so I sat at a creek, filtered water and just drank till I had about 3 liters in me. It actually did seem to make the climb easier, didn't feel thirsty even though I sweat alot on the way up. For the past couple days I had been trying to decide whether or not I was gonna go down in Burkes Garden to work on a farm my friend had told me about, and today was the day I got there and had to decide. I made it to the rim of Burkes Garden, got to the Chestnut Knob Shelter and called some friends. I also got a voicemail from Dragonbreath, he was a few days behind me and was doing low mile days to try and take it easy, he was developing a shin splint, and didn't wanna make it worse. So that seemed perfect, I would work for a few days on the farm and give him a chance to catch up. I got to a road and just started walking down it with my vague directions to this farm. To make a long story short, I found it (never would have without luck, or fate :) Met the farmer, we talked and got to know each other, had dinner (cod filet with burre blanc sauce and rice), and went to sleep early (he let me stay in a room with THE most comfortable bed I've slept in on my trip).

almost stepped on this snake

Took these walking into Burkes Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment