Tuesday, June 23, 2009

6-18-2009 Thur

Start point: Rockfish Gap - Waynesboro, VA
End point: Blackrock Hut
miles hiked: 20

Finally got a decent shot of a deer on the trail

Me and Dragonbreath got up pretty early and went down to have some breakfast. Saw Phoenix Rising, who we hadn't seen since trail days. I went down to the library to use the internet some more before we left back to the trail at 10am. The 1st part of my day kinda sucked, there were lots of rocks on the trail and they were still pretty wet from all the rain yesterday. Very slippery, and I fell twice. After I caught up with Dragonbreath, we hiked together till we got to the turnoff for the 1st shelter, and had lunch there on the trail. Later in the day after I'd been hiking by myself for awhile I found a little stealth tent spot about 15ft off to the side of the trail. I was just sitting there taking a break and looking up some mileage in my book and a black bear just comes strolling up. I get up and move to the other side of the fallen tree I was sitting on and it comes right over and tries to steal my water bottle. I yell at it to drop my water bottle and it does, and then just slowly meanders away. It was lifting up rocks and branches and looking for stuff underneath, such a trip to be that close to a wild bear.



Got to the hut and it was packed! Dragonbreath had saved me a tent site thankfully, otherwise I probably would have ended up tenting on unlevel ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment