Tuesday, June 16, 2009

6-12-2009 Fri

Start point: Johns Hollow Shelter
End point: Brown Mtn Creek Shelter
miles hiked: 18.3

In between the 1st and 2nd big climbs I came across a rattlesnake right on the trail. This is the 1st time I think I've ever seen one in the wild. Didn't even rattle when I approached, if I hadn't been watching my step closely I would have stepped on it. Took some pics, left a note for my friends behind me to watch their step, and went around it. Had lunch at Punchbowl Shelter and talked to a south-bounder, Mudflap. Most of the rest of the day was easy, except when it started raining. I was still about 5.5 away from the shelter. Got soaked, but the only part I really minded was my feet, hate that soggy foot feeling when your socks and shoes get completely wet. Think my pack cover is done, its not keeping my pack dry anymore. I guess its better than nothing, but water is definitely getting in. The walk along Brown Mtn Creek is very beautiful (pictured above). There were not any tent sites left up by the shelter by the time I got there, but I found a nice flat one right next to the creek. It stopped raining well before I put up my tent, but once inside everything still felt clammy and damp. Read for just abit and let the creek sounds put me to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment